for artists, curators, designers, organizers, researchers...
MoKS Annual Project Residency program is aimed at supporting and assisting a visiting artist to develop a medium to larger scale project over a period of 6 months to one year. The end goal of each residency will be a public presentation of the project in some form be it an exhibition, performance or concert series, festival, symposium or film during the summer season (June-August 2017). Although this type of residency is unique, the format is open and flexible enough to accommodate a wide range of ideas projects and activities.
MoKS has operated since it founding in 2001 with a continued emphasis on public exposure, community involvement, participatory formats and environmental interventions (temporary and permanent). Much in our surroundings has evolved over the years but our commitment implementing creative ideas and artistic culture into rural life remains.
To apply, please send us the following by August 20th 2016
-project proposal (1 page outline of concept and implementation)
-project budget (estimated)
- brief bio/CV (1 page)
- Applicant must be resident of Nordic- Baltic countries (Denmark, Finland, Iceland, Norway, Sweden, Faroe Islands, Greenland, Åland, Latvia or Lithuania)
- Multiple visits are possible (we request total minimum stay of 1 month although longer visits are encouraged)
- Studio and accommodation provided
- Travel costs covered ( up to 200€)
- Stipend 1000€ + production costs 500€
- If the project gets accepted, support for 2 additional artists is possible (grant 700€, travel costs up to 200€ and production costs 500€). Again we request minimum stay 1 month (longer stay is possible and multiple visits encouraged)
- Residencies can be arranged from October 1st 2016 and run until December 15th 2016 and continue in 2017 from March 1st throughout spring with expected outcome presentation in summer 2017
- Should the project be accepted we are open to discuss finding additional production funding to carry on the proposal.
Do not hesitate to contact us with any questions moks_at_moks.ee or call us +372 5138599 or visit us in Mooste.
The continuing aims of the MoKS residency is to foster collaboration between artists, researchers and different communities, organizations and groups in South Estonia. Artists are also encouraged to work with the context of the landscape and features of the local environment. MoKS has developed links through a variety of regional communities, organizations, institutions and groups through past and current projects. These include schools, an elderly home, youth center, library, local municipality, farmers, etc. While residents are encouraged to be self motivated and work independently MoKS can provide assistance for artists when developing a specific project in the frame of the residency with its network of volunteers.
The climate conditions in Estonia vary throughout the year from +30C summers to -30C winters. During the colder months the resident artist should be prepared to handle the weather conditions (bring warm clothes). Basic tasks such as accepting village life, cooking and shopping are part of the daily routine. MoKS guests are expected to be responsible, independent and adaptable to living and working in a foreign, rural village which can be socially isolating at times.
NOTE: MoKS is located in the rural community of Mooste and does not have van or car available for residents. Arrangements can be made for special transport needs but at the expense of the resident. Otherwise residents should be prepared to travel with local public transport.
Second floor studios (above), Main floor studio (below)
Mooste is a small rural south Estonain village of about 500 people. The village is a mix of former Soviet collective farm structures and the historic Mooste Manor farming estate. In the village there is: grocery store, medical center, bus stop 1km ( regular bus connections with Tartu), interesting small businesses and organisations, like traditional log building and historical renovation workshop http://vanaajamaja.ee/, clay building workshop http://saviukumaja.ee/, wool workshop- they produce foutons, pillows, weave jumpers and hats and small souvenirs http://www.sirelitalu.ee/tookoda.html, folk music school http://moosterahvamuusikakool.blogspot.com/, loom workshop and re-use center http://www.taaskasutuskoda.ee/
There is 1 guesthouse and 1 hotel in Mooste.